Friday, October 18, 2013

Big Island Rendezvous!

In October us fourth graders went to Albert Lee, Minnesota, to visit Big, Island, Rendezvous. It was a blast.  It was totally worth the drive! Have you ever been there?
      First, when I got there we just looked around. Then, we went to our first station. Our first station was the wooden tool maker. He showed us how to make handles for hammers. He told us the tools he uses to make the handle of the hammer. It was very interesting. It's cool how he could make a tool that could help us.  After his station was done our class, went to the flute maker.
       The first step to make a flute was to chop down a Mopane tree.  Then he would dig out the middle of the tree.  After he was done with that he would shave off the bark of the tree.  The last step was to make the holes in flute. And then you are done.  The guy was also very talented at playing the flute.  The reason I say that is because he played some songs for us.  Next we went to the silversmith.
       Personally, I really did not find him that interesting but he was very good at working with silver. His jewelry was very interesting to look at.
        Finally, it was time to eat. We got to relax our legs while eating. My legs hurt from walking and standing all morning. Even though walking hurt my legs it was a nice exercise.  After my mom, Chloe and I were done eating we went SHOPPING!  I bought a turtle ring, rock candy and a necklace. Shopping is one of my favorite thing but the bad part was the smell.  It smelled horrible but overall shopping was a blast! After our free time we went to the medicine lady.
        She was my favorite station by far because I learned about one of my dreams to become a nurse or doctor. (And mostly about our skin and I dream to be a dermatologist) What I think was cool that she taught me how to make lotion, cream for burns and what to do if you had a sore throat.{If I lived in that time I would be a medicine lady}
          Our last station was the blacksmith. He made this hanger type thing with very hot fire and metal. It was very cool. Plus he had a huge air pedal that made the fire. He was very phenomenal!
          Overall us fourth graders had a fantastic time.  I hope in your free time you choose to go to Big Island Rendezvous!

No comments:

Post a Comment